(Remote – must reside in and be authorized to work in the Continental U.S.)
We are Cricket Media®, a global education company creating high-quality print and online learning products for children, adults, families, mentors, teachers, and partners that improve learning opportunities for everyone. The Cricket Media brand has 50 years of history bringing education and connection to families and communities across the globe. Our growing family of products comes together to create a unique, multigenerational, online learning space called Cricket eLearning. Through the combined programming expertise of a diverse group of highly skilled teachers, we are able to offer a variety of learning opportunities for kids, teens, and adults. Led by our 9 award-winning children’s magazines and our customizable, research-tested, collaborative learning programs, we are committed to innovative learning experiences that help individuals, families, and organizations connect with opportunities to safely explore and expand their worlds.
To learn more about our language-learning programs and our company, visit us at cricketmedia.com.
About the Position:
Focusing on our magazines, the Assistant Editor’s duties include proofing pages, posting calls for submissions, reviewing submissions, photo research, assisting with online writing forums, proofing digital content for publication, verifying accuracy of text and narration for children’s digital reading products, and some general administrative support, along with opportunities for writing and helping create magazine content. Our creative team is small, tight-knit, and closely collaborative. We’re looking for someone ready to give and receive constructive, creative feedback and join us in shaping the voice and vision of our unique, award-winning magazines for children. Cricket Media’s aesthetic aspirations are sky-high, and the ideal candidate will be smart and industrious with a publishing background and a commitment to children’s intellectual growth and development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research a wide variety of subjects: American history, world history, world cultures, poetry, short stories, crafts and activities, recipes, games, creative nonfiction, comics, science, technology, and engineering.
- Proofread pages being prepared for print.
- Proofread materials for digital publication, checking against source material, and listen to recorded narration to compare with text.
- Assist creative teams with administrative needs.
- Sort, answer, and route mail.
- Assist editors in brainstorming ideas and planning magazine issues and attend meetings with each magazine team.
- As needed, help editors write magazine departments and occasional articles.
- Assist in gathering images.
- Read/review submissions from potential contributors.
- Assist with outreach to contributors.
- Assist in in-house research/content tracking.
- Assist in online forum administration/moderation.
- BA required; minimum 2 years of experience in editing and writing.
- Respect for kids’ intelligence, experiences, and passion.
- Solid liberal arts background in humanities and sciences.
- Strong background in creative and nonfiction writing.
- Voracious appetite for reading.
- Passion for ideas and learning.
- Knowledge of (or at least fondness for) children’s literature or readiness to familiarize oneself with that world.
- Keen-eyed attention to detail; excellent proofreading, writing, communication, and copyediting skills.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Creativity and a sense of humor.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, deadline-conscious, high-growth company.
- Proficiency in a variety of technologies for work and communications, particularly Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
Working at Cricket Media:
Cricket Media has a diverse workforce comprised of leaders and innovators in their fields, dedicated to making a difference at the intersection of content, technology, and education. Our staff is universally driven by the desire to “do well and do good.” Proactive individuals who take to this desire/idea and understand how to make it real at scale in a fast-paced environment (bonus points for maintaining a sense of humor while doing so…) will do well doing good at Cricket Media.
Cricket Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re an interdisciplinary bunch committed to building a team with a wide array of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that few life paths are straight lines and are appreciative of the skills we’ve each gleaned from the most unlikely of experiences. We’re passionate about cultivating a positive, inclusive, and fun workplace that brings together unique individuals and perspectives that reflect the global, multicultural communities we serve and value creativity, transparency, accountability, and integrity. We offer a full range of employee benefits for our regular full-time employees.
Perks include excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, dizzyingly intelligent and creative colleagues, and enough stacks of review copies to build a fort.
To apply: Must send cover letter, resume, and writing samples to: