McLean, VA 22102 (with some remote flexibility)
Must apply online at:
About Cricket Media®:
Cricket Media® is a global education company creating high-quality print and online learning products for children, families, mentors, teachers, and partners that improve learning opportunities for everyone. Led by our 9 award-winning children’s magazines and our customizable research-tested collaborative learning programs, including NeuLingo and NeuABC language learning, and CricketTogether and TryEngineering Together eMentoring platforms, we are committed to creating and supporting innovative learning experiences that help children safely explore and engage with their expanding world.
To learn more about our company, visit us at www.cricketmedia.com
About the Position:
Cricket Media seeks an Accounting Manager to oversee all aspects of the accounting operations of the company, reporting directly to the SVP of Finance. Primary responsibilities include maintenance of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, ensure that timely reported results comply with GAAP, and manage a team across remote locations as well as on site in McLean, Virginia. Specific duties include: accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger preparation, financial reporting, billing, account reconciliation, cash receipts processing, depreciation and accruals, annual audits, and other activities that provide financial information to assist management and stakeholders in making economic/financial decisions regarding the Company’s current and future state. This position requires strong technical and analytical skills, effective decision-making capability, and the ability to build and sustain productive relationships with management, staff, and peers. Additionally, candidate must have the capacity and willingness to assume a high level of accounting responsibility for the company.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform, manage, and oversee the daily operations and activities of the corporate accounting department for the accurate and timely preparation and dissemination of financial management reports, including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements, monthly billings, and annual audits.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Manage A/P, client invoicing and credit, as well as A/R.
- Manage organizational cash-flow forecasting by working in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, bank reconciliations, month and quarter-end closes, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP standards.
- Coordinate all annual audit and tax activity.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company’s value.
- Supervision of the payroll department and all its functions, including overseeing the processing of bi-weekly payroll by third-party company, and ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of payroll processing.
- Manage communication with internal and external customers regarding departmental work and facilitate the resolution of client/vendor issues.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable and any A/P issues, purchase orders, employee expense reports, payroll processing, and payroll tax compliance.
- Manage corporate income tax compliance in collaboration with independent external accounting firm to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns.
- Produce accurate monthly financial statements, including balance sheet, profit/loss statements, and accumulative general ledger utilizing online accounting system; ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Ensure all general ledger accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records in a timely manner on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly closing general ledger entries; ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close using online accounting system.
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts; follow up on any unusual items and prepare related journal entries.
- Oversee department budget; participate in the annual budget and forecasting activities.
- Respond to the CEO, SVP of Finance, and other executive and company-wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests, and the like.
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies, and principles.
- Train new and existing staff as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or related degree in Accounting or Bachelor’s or related degree in Business with an emphasis in Accounting required.
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of progressively responsible experience as an Accountant, with a minimum of 2 years in a managerial role such as Accounting Director, Accounting Manager, or Senior Accountant with supervisory experience, preferably in a small to medium-sized company or division.
- A thorough understanding of multi-state payroll, general ledger accounting, and project accounting.
- Proficient in the use of Accounting software; high proficiency in PC applications, especially Microsoft Office Suite with advanced Excel skills.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and flexible to handle a wide variety of assignments.
- Ability to efficiently perform duties and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to all levels of the organization.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to professionally and discreetly handle confidential information.
- Superior problem-solving, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency in all projects and an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize all billing and payroll issues and the ability to respond within 24 hours.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as self-motivated in individual projects.
Working at Cricket Media:
Cricket Media has a diverse workforce comprised of leaders and innovators in their fields, dedicated to making a difference at the intersection of content, technology, and education. Our staff is universally driven by the desire to “do well and do good.” Proactive individuals who take to this desire/idea and understand how to make it real at scale in a fast-paced environment (bonus points for maintaining a sense of humor while doing so…) will do well doing good at Cricket Media.
Cricket Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re an interdisciplinary bunch committed to building a team with a wide array of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that few life paths are straight lines and are appreciative of the skills we’ve each gleaned from the most unlikely of experiences. We’re passionate about cultivating a positive, inclusive, and fun workplace that brings together unique individuals and perspectives that reflect the global, multicultural communities we serve and value creativity, transparency, accountability, and integrity. We offer a full range of employee benefits for our regular full-time employees.
To apply: Send resume and salary requirements. No phone calls, please.