COBBLESTONE™ Submission Guidelines
COBBLESTONE™ is interested in articles of historical accuracy and lively, original approaches to the subject at hand. Do not forget that our magazine is aimed at youths from ages 9–14. Writers are encouraged to study recent past copies for content and style. (Sample copies are available for viewing at the Cricket Media Store, where you can also purchase a current issue.) Issues are also available at many local libraries. All material must relate to the theme of a specific upcoming edition in order to be considered. COBBLESTONE purchases all rights to material.
Cricket Media is committed to a diverse literary culture, and we welcome works by writers from underrepresented groups (people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQAI+ folks, and other marginalized peoples).
- 700–800 words
- Includes: in-depth nonfiction, plays, first-person accounts, and biographies.
- 300–600 words
- Includes: subjects directly and indirectly related to the theme. Editors like little-known information but encourage writers not to overlook the obvious.
- Up to 800 words
- Includes: authentic historical and biographical fiction, adventure, and retold legends relating to the theme.
- Up to 500 words
- Includes: crafts, recipes, woodworking, or any other interesting projects that can be done either by children alone or with adult supervision. Sketches and description of how activity relates to theme should accompany queries.
- Up to 50 lines
- Clear, objective imagery. Serious and light verse considered. Must relate to theme.
Puzzles and Games
- (Please, no word finds.)
- Crossword and other word puzzles using the vocabulary of the edition’s theme.
- Mazes and picture puzzles that relate to the theme.
In order for your idea to be considered, a query must accompany each individual idea (multiple queries can be submitted at the same time) and must include the following:
- A brief cover letter stating the subject and word length of the proposed article.
- A detailed one-page outline explaining the information to be presented in the article.
- An extensive bibliography of materials the author intends to use in preparing the article.
Authors are urged to use primary sources and up-to-date scholarly works in their bibliography. Writers new to COBBLESTONE should send a writing sample with the query. If you would like to know whether your query has been received, please indicate in your subject line with “RESPONSE REQUESTED.” In all correspondence, please include your complete address as well as an email address and telephone number where you can be reached. Authors are requested to supply a 2- to 3–line biographical sketch.
A writer may send as many queries for one edition as he or she wishes, but each query must have a separate cover letter, outline, and bibliography. Submit queries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send unsolicited manuscripts. Queries only!
Note: Queries may be submitted at any time, but queries sent well in advance of deadline MAY NOT BE ANSWERED FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. Requests for material proposed in queries are usually sent five months prior to publication date. Due to the volume of submissions received, unused queries will not be acknowledged. Email queries to: email@example.com.
2022 Issue Themes (and query deadlines)
Women in the Civil War (closed)
Harriet Tubman (closed)
Yukon Gold Rush (closed)
Famous Islands (10/15/21)
Art of Photography (10/15/21)
Our Grand Old Flag/Patriotic Symbols (11/15/21)
Beaver Fur Trade (12/15/21)
John Quincy Adams: American Statesman (01/15/22)
On the Frontier (02/15/22)